Friday, December 18, 2009

Mountain Marketplace Mission

We left Wednesday Morning for another clothes delivery to West Virginia.It didn't take long to realize that the trailer had too much for the Sporttrac when I hooked up and it looked like a U at the hitch point. So it was out with the Sporttrac and in with the Motorhome.

Traveling to Meadow Bridge, West Virginia we visited in the services at Calvary Baptist Church where I ministered six weeks early in the fall. Spending the night in the parking lot we soon heard that familiar sound of the coal train at 2 AM. Next morning in 14 degrees I unloaded some additional items for Donna Martin which William Tabor volunteered to take over to Danese that evening.

Then to Carol's Restaurant for breakfast and it was good to see Buck and Carol, neither had changed since we last saw them, catching up on the latest news in town. We then after getting some local advice on which road to take headed to our destination of Webster Springs. We arrived at 11 AM and tears came to my eyes as I saw the long lines waiting to get their weekly supply of groceries and clothes.

I called on the cell phone and Gary Melton the director came out to the road and directed where I needed to park and unload. It was indeed a problem getting the Motor home and trailer backed into the little path with all the cars. The volunteers began to help unload and when completed Gary and his wife Lily gave us a tour of the place.

We toured the warehouses attached to the mission which is an old house added on several times and then to the area where tho people were given the bag of food. Gary told me that they would give out 500 bags of groceries today which is done every Thursday. He invited us to come back and help pack the bags one Wednesday and stay over and help in giving them out the next day. Marianne says she wants us to do that some time, I think she means in warmer weather.

I asked him where he got the food and his response was God sent it. He never knew from week to week what they would have or where it would come from. He says he never asked for anything, I just pray, Father I want to thank you for the food you're going to send from the East or West, South or North and it comes. Today each bag contained A bag of dried beans,noddles, gravy, two bread cakes, and two items from the shelves behind the counter, plus a gospel track. The most amazing part is that only two people are allowed in at a time. we watched as they filed in and one person asked for a tooth bush and was given one. In the clothing room again only two people are allowed in at the time and they are given a bag when they come in and can only get a bag full.

I was so impressed with Gary and Lily and their walk of faith, Gary was a local pastor who began this operation in 1995 and is excited over what God is doing in supplying the needs of the people.

Pray for Gary and Lily Melton and Mountain Marketplace Mission and their constant needs also for the need of a new dormitory to house the teams who come to minister, the footing has already been poured, they are now waiting for $5000.00 so they can put up the walls which will all be done with volunteer labor.

I want to thank each of you my friends who have supported me in my helping the peple of West Virginia. Without Couchton Baptist Church in Aiken, Philippi Baptist Church in Johnston and Saluda Baptist Church in Saluda this would not have been possible, those gifts of clothes, Dollar General Cards and the monies have gone and long way. Most of all I thank God for His leadership in bringing in what has been needed and for showing us the places of need. I'm so excited, I can't wait to see what lies ahead.

God bless each of you.




Line for food and clothes



Volunteers handing out food



Gary Melton